[silva-dev] Silva 1.3b3 released
guido at infrae.com
Fri May 27 11:03:56 CEST 2005
Marc Petitmermet wrote:
>> * WebDAV support
> well, as the documentation of the new features is not up yet we don't
> really know the consequences of this feature and how to use it.
I can imagine.
> i would speculate that some of the railroad features made it into
> the silva core so i can upload/download silva images and silva files
> (e.g. a 600 mb movie) and full media zip files using webdav without
> bringing down zope;-)
Well that's not the case, WebDAV is really not about *what* you can
upload, but more about what happens on upload...
Let me sum up what Silva should currently be capable of:
* browsing the contents of the server using a WebDAV client
* retrieving contents using a WebDAV client
* creating new folders (MKDIR will create a Silva Folder, not a
* moving existing Silva objects
* copying existing Silva objects
* uploading content of an unknown file type, the result will be a Silva
* uploading images, resulting in Silva Image types being added
* uploading HTML, which should result in creation of a Silva Document
* uploading XML with a .slv extension, this should result in creation of
a Silva Document
* uploading HTML or Silva XML (.slv) to an existing Silva Document
and all this with checks on security and publication state.
What is not (yet?) supported:
* versioning control from WebDAV (DeltaV)
* setting and retrieving metadata
and some more advanced features of WebDAV.
Also note that some WebDAV clients have a really nasty way of creating
files (which involves creating a 'resource' without contents, and later
uploading the contents, which interacts pretty badly with Zope DAV),
currently I didn't find a way to work around that, hopefully I can fix
that later. Creating content with more 'standard' tools like Cadaver
works just fine, but some clients (notably the Windows and OS-X (iirc)
desktop clients) won't let you create any non-collection resources.
Hope that helps a bit.
More information about the silva-dev