[silva-dev] Inconsistency with Silva Sidebar view
Luthiger Stoll Benno
benno.luthiger at id.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 4 15:04:32 CEST 2005
The Silva version of the site we encountered this phenomenon is Silva-1.1.5 on Zope 2.7.4.
It looks like the content of the Sidebar is absolutely frozen. None of the changes made in the SMI (e.g. adding a new Silva Folder or moving Silva Objects around) is reflected in the sidebar box anymore.
However, I can export the Silva folder where this problem happens (Zope export) and import it in another Zope instance without any problem. At the new place, every thing in the SMI works as expected.
One thing I've noticed in the orignial site is that the last element in the sidebar box has the following URL: https://my.site.org/open%20positions/edit/tab_edit. I guess this object is involved in the phenomenon. I imagine that someone has entered an invalide id, i.e. an id with a space: 'open positions'. Instead of rejecting the input, Silva processed it and then got stuck somewhere.
In any case: What solution to work around this problem is the best?
- Should I rename the parent directory?
- Should I make a Zope export and then reimport the site?
- Should I make a Zope export and reimport the site after renaming the parent directory?
WEP J 11
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
Tel: +41 1 632 57 65
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martijn Faassen [mailto:faassen at infrae.com]
> Sent: Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2005 14:28
> To: Luthiger Stoll Benno
> Cc: silva-dev at lists.infrae.com
> Subject: Re: [silva-dev] Inconsistency with Silva Sidebar view
> Luthiger Stoll Benno wrote:
> > We stumbled over a strange problem in one of our virtual sites (on
> > our mass hosting site at the ETH): The Silva sidebar
> navigation seems
> > to be out of sync and doesn't reflect the content of the publication
> > anymore. To be more precise: The sidebar navigation in the SMI shows
> > a content that differs both from the main content box and
> the content
> > viewed in the ZMI. It displayes two additional Silva folders that
> > don't exist and, thus, can't be deleted or manipulated.
> > I then created a Python Script in the ZMI in this publication and
> > called the following: return
> > context.service_sidebar.render(container, 'tab_edit', 'contents')
> > The content displayed was exactly the same content as in the sidebar
> > box in the SMI. I thought that maybe the sidebar cache is the
> > problem. Therefore, I tried to invalidate the object in the sidebar
> > cache: context.service_sidebar.invalidate(container)
> > However, this didn't improve the situation.
> > I'm not sure whether SidebarService.invalidate() works correct. The
> > code in the methode 'invalidate()' is not virtual root
> aware, whereas
> > the code in SidebarService.render() takes care of possible virtual
> > roots.
> Overall, it's been a long time since we wrote the sidebar
> caching code
> and it didn't seem to give many problems in the field, so I'm
> what could've caused this inconsistency now. Which Silva
> version is this?
> Do you have any idea why these silva folders are displayed?
> they got created and then later deleted without some update to the
> sidebar cache. Being able to reproduce this problem somehow
> would be a
> good way for us to start solving the root cause.
> It should be possible to refresh the sidebar cache by adding a new
> folder, or moving a folder around or somesuch. But, if the invalidate
> method doesn't work properly, there's a good chance that won't work
> It's possible virtual hosting indeed has something to do with
> it, even
> though we did take issues like this into account when we originally
> wrote the code; I would need to spend more time trying to understand
> what the code did again to track this down.
More information about the silva-dev