[silva-dev] scripted web ui testing?

kit BLAKE kitblake at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:47:03 CEST 2007

Hi Andy,
You have good timing....

> For a web application that is unrelated to zope, I need to do some scripted
> actions through the web interface.  Ideally I want to use python.  I'm
> wonding if any of you out there have using any web ui testing toolkits for
> python that are out there?  Any recommendations?  I seem to recall this being
> mentioned before, but I can't recall...
>
> What I need is a simple package that will allow me to login to a web
> application (posting a form), keep cookie state, and can do repeated form
> submissions while logged in.
>
> I'm looking at twill right now, and it seems like it'll do the job.  But, I'm
> wondering what the rest of you think.

Selenium seems to have traction:
http://www.openqa.org/selenium/

We're also going to try funittest:
http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/funittest/trunk

I know the guy who's developing it and he sent me (yesterday,
coincidentally) the following:

> First of all, what I did on funittest is influcenced by this blog:
>
> The Braidy Tester (http://blogs.msdn.com/micahel) for
> writing about his idea of a test automation stack
>
> What I did is just to apply the techniques demonstrated for their
> test automation stack to Python.
>
> Then, there is another article that heavily inspired me, and that I
> read over and over to keep the same spirit in funittest:
>
> Jennitta Andrea for the inspirational article
> "Brushing Up On Functional Test Effectiveness"
> http://www.stickyminds.com/s.asp?F=S9937_ART_2

Andy, please keep us informed about your progress. We did some
home-baked functional testing for our Document Library application and
we want to do similar things for Silva. It's hard to say when, but
it's high on our wish list. Hopefully we can share resources on this.

Kit

--
Kit BLAKE · Infrae · http://infrae.com/ + 31 10 243 7051
Hoevestraat 10 · 3033 GC · Rotterdam + The Netherlands