[silva-dev] OpenOffice/ODF support for Silva?

eric casteleijn eric at infrae.com
Mon May 14 11:38:26 CEST 2007

>> If so, and if work is needed on this, I'd like to help.  I have
>> some experience with processing XML in Python (see, for example,
>> http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/generateDS.html) and with generating
>> ODF/.odt files (see http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/odtwriter.html,
>> which uses lxml, by the way).
>
> Thanks! I'll let Eric pick this up, as he's done most of the work on
> the XML-based export/import.

Awesome! This is something I've wanted to work on for a long time, but
for a variety of reasons this has never quite materialized. There are a
number of ways I envision this could work, but the easiest way to start,
might be to take a silva xml export file (which is really a zipped xml
file with some assets in directories, we took our inspiration for this
from OOo already) and try to get an xslt transformation working, outside
of silva.

As Kit mentioned, the silva -> ODT/ODF transformation will be easiest,
since silva xml is quite a bit simpler than the open office/open
document xml.

Once there is a working xslt stylesheet, this would be relatively simple
to integrate into the silva core, since we already support xslt
stylesheets there to render the xml to (x)html for browser viewing.

I'm quite busy at the moment, (but then, that's almost always the case,
and: who isn't ;)), but I *would* like to discuss some more how to
tackle this, and or answer any questions you may have. Let's keep the
discussion on this list for now, because there might be more interested
developers, or people with useful suggestions.

eric