[silva-dev] Update - silva2odt

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Thu Jun 21 01:50:34 CEST 2007

Here is a preliminary and incomplete version of silva2odt.

It does not yet convert all the features that can be included in a
Silva document.  But, I wanted to find out whether I'm on the right
track.

If you have comments or suggestions, I'll appreciate them.

You can find this preliminary version here:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/silva2odt-1.0a.tar.gz

Documentation is in the distribution and also here:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/silva2odt.html
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/silva2odt.txt

Some things to note:

- silva2odt.py takes its input in a variety forms: XML or Zip, file
  or stream.  Hopefully that will make it easier to use inside
  Silva and also usable in office business processes (implemented
  in Python, of course).

- It can write its output in several forms, for example to a Zip
  file, to nested folders on the file system (for an exported
  folder), and to a stream.

- silva2odt.py is a Python module that can be imported and used in
  Python applications outside of Silva, as well as inside Silva.

- silva2odt.py can be run from the command line.

- There is a setup.py, so you can install it.

- If you run silva2odt.py, you are likely to either have to copy
  styles.odt to your current directory or use the -s flag or use
  the "styles-path" option in a configuration file.  See the doc.

- I've temporarily put it under the MIT OpenSource license.  But,
  when and if we decide to put it into the Silva distribution, we
  can change the license to Silva's.

Once again, there is still quite a bit left to be done, and I'll
get on it.  So, if you have suggestions or guidance that you think
might help me, please let me know.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman