[Silva-general] running Docma

Chris Inacio nacho319 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 14:57:55 CET 2006

On 3/17/06, Guido Wesdorp <guido at infrae.com> wrote:

> Chris Inacio wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting a bunch of errors trying to get Docma to work; and they seem
> > trivial, but I have yet to dig through the code to find what's going
> > on.  (I still have to come up to speed on Python, so I'm a little slower
> > here.)  I put the error below.
> >
> Thanks, will investigate in more detail when I have more time. Note that
> I'm not surprised that it doesn't work, since it's been a while since I
> last updated it. I expect I am going to perform some work on it in the
> near future (weeks), though, since one of our customers has asked for
> that.

That would be great.  I'm trying to ramp up enough to understand it myself,
I'm just not there yet.

> > I really want a document management system that can handle Word
> > documents; ideally the versioning and releasing, etc. can be done in
> > some other system, and Word can be used for document structure, etc.  It
> > looked like Silva+Docma was the solution since for various reasons
> > beyond my control, I will not get people at my company to switch from
> Word.
> >
> I'm not sure what the future of Docma will bring, currently we're more
> interested in using OpenOffice instead (since that uses a very useful
> XML format for storage itself, which would be relatively easy to read
> and write, compared using COM with Word) and I don't think we'll add
> much more features to Word in the future, however I assume we'll be
> supporting it for a while more, and perhaps at some point using
> OpenOffice to create .doc files would be a feasible solution for you
> too? The end-users could still use Word to create and read the
> documents, but the server (that's responsible for converting Silva XML
> to Word/OpenOffice documents and back) would run OpenOffice instead of
> Word.

Using OpenOffice as a connector between Word users and Silva CMS would be
fine.  I just don't think I can convince the powers that be of moving away
from Word.  I also don't think I can convince them of only using an online
system.  (Basically, I'm stuck with needing to provide some form of Word
compatibility in order to sell this internally.)  On the other hand, our
documentation/tech writing would much rather take away Word from the
engineers if possible. :)

Cheers,

> Guido

thanks,