[Silva-general] email addresses with non-standard characters in silva

Andy Altepeter aaltepet at altepeter.net
Tue Dec 1 17:30:11 CET 2009

Sending this email again, as it appears to have not been delivered to silva-
general the first time:

Hi Elisabeth,

I've fixed this mailto: issue you've reported in the Silva 2.1 branch and the
Silva trunk.  The mailto: regular expression check was _very_ restrictive, and
I've updated it so the left hand side of email addresses support the full
range of allowed characters, which includes the ' character.

The "page not found" error you were seeing was a result of Silva thinking this
mailto: link was actually a relative path to a silva object, and so was
prepending it with the absolute url of the document's container.  So when
clicking this link your browser was actually asking Silva for a page like:

http://silva.example.com/site/mailto:firstname.o'surname@beds.ac.uk

The example email address you supplied now works correctly with the 2.1
branch, and will be included in SilvaDocument 2.1.7, whenever it is tagged.

Regards,
Andy