[Silva-general] user registration (and 'hi'!)

bdsilva at knowledgeworks.plus.com bdsilva at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Nov 14 13:01:47 CET 2009

Hi Kit

> The best way would be to use OpenID. This means users need to have an
> OpenID account somewhere, but most of them do already (Google, Yahoo,
> etc.). It's also simple to create one at sites like
> https://www.myopenid.com/

Thanks for the suggestion of OpenID.  I'd seen references to Silav
supporing it on your site.  However, when I visited
http://test.infrae.com/silva_forum/forum to test out the OpenID
integration I got a 404.  I'm not sure if that forum was just a temporary
thing or not.  I'll see if I can get it installed as easily as with Silva
itself.

> This will allow them see to restricted content that's set to
> 'Authenticated'. You'll need PAS and Silva's OpenID component:
> https://svn.infrae.com/silva.pas.base/
> https://svn.infrae.com/silva.pas.membership/
> https://svn.infrae.com/silva.pas.openid/
>
> If you're using a buildout, probably for Silva 2.1, you can include
> these.

I'm not using a buildout (yet).  I'm not that au fait with python.  I just
extracted Silva-2.1.3-all.tgz into my Products folder, and started working
with it.  (That's the kind of nice and easy deployment I like).  If
buildouts are the recommended deployment, then I'll spend some time
learning that (especially as I'm getting more sure that Silva is for me).

> Note that this will only allow access to restricted pages, not to the
> management interface. You'll still need to assign rights for anyone
> who needs to manage content. But you can do this with their OpenID too.

I'm fine with managing intranet/extranet users through the ZMI.  It is the
internet users that need to be able to self-register.  OpenID may well be
the solution.

> Good luck, check back in if you have difficulties.

I've got other questions, and I'll post them separately.

Regards, Bernard